Thursday, October 25, 2012

Banksia top



       


So I finally finished my Banksia top and I'm very satisfied with the final result.When started planning this project I had a very specific idea in my mind.I wanted a fabric with a kind of preppy print and a pointed collar that would break the sweetness of the print and creating a contrasting effect.I was searching for the right fabric,but nothing seemed to do.And then I spotted this scarf at Bershka that was big enough for the pattern.
But I have to confess that wasn't the best idea!The fabric was a nightmare to work with,very slippery and once I sewed a stitch,there was never a turn back,because of the holes that were left on the fabric whenever I tried to unpick a seam.But in the end I'm really happy I managed to finish a wearable garment!For the collar I used faux leather and I changed the shape of the original(a peter pan collar) to a pointed one.

So what do you guys think?

6 comments:

  1. Lovely! It's great that you made this from a scarf. I love faux leather details, I recently made a tunic with a faux leather v neck cleavage. I'll have to photograph it and post it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes you should photograph it!I would really love to see it!I really like faux leather details as well!I think the give a nice touch to a garment!

      Delete
  2. Oh I love it!! Love the contrast of the strong faux leather against the soft feminine fabric. I tried sewing a scarf material before too, totally agree with you that it's not easy to sew. I'm guessing a smaller needle (maybe size 9) would've worked better for me on my machine (I was lazy to change the needle because I was using a size 13 for a previous project haha).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!I thought about the needle too,but at the moment I didn't have a smaller one and I was excited to finish the project!It definitely wasn't easy,but I'm happy with the outcome and that's what counts!

      Delete